About Me


A twenty-something living in Annapolis and the DC area. I love sharing posts about my lifestyle and I occasionally dabble in beauty.

I am a Labor and Delivery nurse and when I'm not bringing babies into the world I enjoy exploring the area, sharing good food and drinks with friends, attending concerts, and occasionally crafting, like DIYs and quilting.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Frank Lloyd Wright: Pope-Leighey House (with Woodlawn Mixed In)


Something I've been meaning to check off my to-do list is see Frank Lloyd Wright's Pope-Leighey House in Virginia.  Ever since I took a spontaneous trip to Pennsylvania to see Falling Water, I have been hooked on FLW's minimal, mid-century modern design.  In fact, one of the few things on my bucket list is to see every FLW house that is open to the public.


The Pope-Leighey House's original location was in Falls Church.  However, the house was set to be torn down in order to build Route 66.  The owner at the time contacted the National Trust and the house was moved to the Woodlawn property where it sits today.  It's amazing to me how many of FLW's works have been destroyed through out the years.


Unfortunately, pictures were not allowed to be taken of the inside, but after our short, private tour I was able to walk around the outside and snap some shots.  The house is small with two bedrooms and one bathroom and is considered one of FLW's Usonian houses - very minimal and affordable for the average American.


The tour guide pointed out many of FLW's classic details.  For example, a small carport instead of a garage, low ceilings in the entryway and hallway, the continuity of horizontal lines, and modular furniture.  The house reminded me very much of the Gordon House in Oregon.  They have a very similar layout.


We were also able to tour the Woodlawn house that is on the property.  To be quite honest, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the Pope-Leighey House.  The Woodlawn house is about 150 years older and, in my opinion, boring.


I'm so glad we were able to take this lovely little day trip to Virginia!  I also posted a picture about it on my Instagram account, so follow me over there as well!

Have you visited any Frank Lloyd Wright houses?? Let me know in the comments below! I would love to hear about it.

Xx Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment